Church
Wednesday November 22, 2017

Sessay Logo

You can keep up to date with all the latest news and events in and
around the parish of Sessay by heading for our Latest News Pages here >>

PJT 2796

There has been a church in Sessay since Anglo-Saxon times, when it was granted to the Abbot of St Mary's in  York.  The church was moved from its original site in the 16th century by Sir Guy Dawney because the old building was in a bad state of repair and was too far away from the inhabitants of the village.  Sir Guy saved the old church bell given by Edmund Darell and his wife Isabella before she died in 1438. He also preserved the bones of Thomas Magnus (a leading official of Henry Viii's) and the brass memorial to him.

By 1847 the church was again in a very poor state, so the lord of the manor Viscount Downe asked William Butterfield of London to build a new church to combine the best of the old with the finest of the new. The old church bell was transferred to the new tower and the new St Cuthbert's was dedicated on Ascension Day 1848.

The present church is a neat stone building under a graduated slate roof with a broached spire clad in oak shingles.  It consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, West tower and South porch.  There is a belfry whcih contains three bells, and an attractive lychgate which provides a roofed gateway into the churchyard. The church provides a beautiful location for weddings.

 

Church 1 1

Recent items of upkeep and renovation have included the spire cockerel in 1982, the spire shingles in 1995, the organ in 2009, and the Thomas Magnus bronze in 2010.

The current rector is the Rev. Nicola Carnall.  
P : 01845 522814

E : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Sunday service is 10 am on the first Sunday in the month, and 9 am for the remaining Sundays of the month.

 

CHURCH